Welcome to Episode #6 of Looking Good Naked – Marketing the Social Economy – The ConsciousImages Podcast for Sunday, June 1, 2008. This week: Advocates for a free and open Internet take their fight inside and outside Parliament and show they are anything but neutral about the issue of Net Neutrality.
· Audio comment line: 206-202-6340
· Email: consciousimages(at)gmail(dot)com
· Canadian Voices – great podcasts by thought provoking Canadians that will only get consumed as podcasts cause they’re an hour long.
o Darin Barney – professor of Communication Studies at McGill University where he holds a Canada Research Chair in Communication and Media Studies. – One Nation Under Google: Citizenship in the Technological Republic
o Michael Geist – Copyright law and Facebook group. Law professor at the University of Ottawa where he holds the Canada Research Chair of Internet and E-commerce Law. Our Own Creative Land: Cultural Monopoly and the Trouble with Copyright
· Mass to Grass – Word of Mouth Marketing Conference put on by CMA
o Thursday, June 12 – Toronto – $700 bucks
o Mitch Joel and Jay Moonah, great promo by Jay
· Net Neutrality rally May 27 Rally on Parliament Hill
o Advocates main issued clarified: Net neutrality is about big Telcos and Cable slowing down services that compete with theirs
o Bell Quebec’s high speed internet customers are bringing a class action suit against Bell for traffic shaping
o Speeches on YouTube
· Microsoft takes two steps back and one step forward:
o Apple continues to kick Microsoft butt in mp3 player market as Zune gets dropped by major retailer;
o Microsoft makes desperate move to stop Google from continuing to kick its butt in search by launching Live Search cashback
o One big step forward….more later on this….
Interview with NDP digital spokesperson, MP Charlie Angus at the May 27 Net Neutrality rally.
Charlie Angus introduces Net Neutrality private members’ bill.
This Week’s Five Game Changers:
5. Mastercard tests cellphone bill payment – by waving cell in front of device – for the next four months in various places in the world (Carnet Techno)
4. Rogers launched HTC Shift laptop computer May 22 –
· can effortlessly Shift between Windows Mobile and Vista.
· Wi-Fi enabled
· Shift looks a lot like Asus Eee PC that the the Royal Bank is giving away to new customers
· Shift still pricey at over $2,000.
3. Findloo – universal search – Web; images; video; definitions; books/CDs/DVDs/; cooking; finances; games; health; movies
2. Windows 7 operating system with touch screen
1. 3G is coming – big time. Canadian government 3G, or Advanced Wireless Spectrum Auction and 3G iphone coming June 9 during the keynote of the Worldwide Developer’s Conference in San Francisco. Way too expensive now but that’s going to change and then what’s that going to mean? Folks can download movies to their phones?